Sunday 17 July 2011

Dolly Parton latest album "Better Days"


Dolly Parton is not here for the first time to improve it.

The 65-year-old country music superstar, actor and amusement park mogul's latest album "Better Days" - his 41st studio recording their shenanigans sour uplifting tunes and honest Smoky Mountains is a healing for the entire time.

Sleep Train Pavilion at next Sunday Parton unity tour rehearsals in Nashville, he spoke to us in that way.

Q: This album is so upbeat. Did you make it for the kids who discovered you as Aunt Dolly on "Hannah Montana"?

A: No, I don't think it sounds like that. I did want it to be uplifting. We've all been down a bit with the economy and war and earthquakes and hurricanes and all that. I wanted to keep it upbeat. I wanted to do a record that lifted everybody up a bit.

Q: Some of these songs sound as if they might require a bit of movement. Are we going to see you dancing on this tour?

A: Actually, I don't do a lot of dancing. I do a little more choreography than I've done in the past, but I wasn't a born dancer by any means.

Q: You were having back and voice problems a few years ago. Why keep touring?

A: I don't want to sit around my house. When I hurt my lower back, I just pulled a muscle. It had nothing to do with my boobs like the tabloids said. And you can't be in this business and not have a little bout of hoarseness. I never want to retire. I'm in good shape. My fans want me to do it. My mind wants to do it. I love being active. I have a lot of people who want to see me, and I want to see them, too.

Q: People outside of Nashville started to take you seriously after the White Stripes covered "Jolene." Why did it take so long?

A: I know I'm a lot to take in. A lot of people think I'm a comedian. They think I'm about boobs and hair - those are the horny ones. But there are also the people who know how I always take my singing and songwriting seriously. I've been around so long I feel like a family member to people. I'm very blessed to have my blue-haired fans and the ones in between and now I have the little ones. I'm hoping I'm around forever.

Q: Do you have any pointers for the drag queens coming to the concert?

A: There are just two things they've got to have - big tits and big wigs. The looks of them, they need to saw their legs off because they're always 3 feet higher than I am. They're all tall boys, and when they wear the heels they look like they're 8 feet tall. But I love it. I expect to have my drag queens in the front row in San Francisco. We're going to have fun. {sbox}

No comments:

Post a Comment